Compassion-Based Approaches for Working with Shame
A growing body of research is illuminating what many of us already intuitively know: compassion and self-compassion are powerful antidotes to shame.
For mental health professionals, this insight can be transformative for their work of supporting so many who are struggling in our world today.
Compassion-Based Approaches for Working with Shame is a free online training for mental health professionals brought to you by the same team that produced the 2022 Compassion in Therapy Summit.
Over three days, participants will learn from leading experts in the field, gaining science-based insights and practical skills through in-depth instruction, demonstrations with real clients, and guided practices so that they can help their clients be:
- More accepting
- Less critical
- And more resilient
What You'll Learn During “Compassion-Based Approaches for Working with Shame”
Shame is widely considered to be one of the most difficult human emotions. It’s painful, sticky, notoriously difficult to treat in psychotherapy, and is associated with a broad spectrum of disorders. But as Chris Germer, PhD, has said, “Shame is ultimately an illusion. And it loses its grip when we turn toward it with kindness and curiosity.”
In this free online training produced by our friends at the Awake Network and the Center for Mindful Self-Compassion, you’ll learn from some of the world's leading experts on shame, mindfulness, compassion, and self-compassion in therapy.
With these teachers, you'll:
- Explore the latest research on shame and compassion
- Understand the relationship between shame and trauma
- Gain core skills for supporting your clients in embracing more self-compassion
- And learn how to navigate “backdraft” to compassion and other common obstacles
You’ll also learn specific interventions, practices, and insights for working with shame directly from the founders and leading teachers of Compassion-Focused Therapy, Polyvagal Theory, Internal Family Systems, Compassionate Inquiry, Mindful Self-Compassion and more.
“Compassion-Based Approaches for Working with Shame” Daily Schedule
DAY 1: Thursday, June 1, 2023
- “LIVE OPENING KEYNOTE: Self-Compassion: An Antidote to Shame” with Chris Germer, PhD & Kristin Neff, PhD
- “A Walk Through the Historic and Emerging Research of Shame” with June Tangney, PhD
- “Towards the Flourishing of All Life: Releasing Shame Related to Internalized Sexism, Racism, and Ableism” with Kamilah Majied, PhD
- “Working with Shame Through Internal Family Systems (includes Demo)” with Martha Sweezy, PhD
- “Shame in Relationships: Healing Mistakes, Regret, and Remorse” with Rick Hanson, PhD
DAY 2: Friday, June 2, 2023
- “Compassion as a Path for Healing Trauma and Shame (includes Demo)” with Gabor Maté, MD, CM
- “Unpacking the Power of Therapeutic Presence: Navigating Shame with Compassion” with Shari Geller, PhD
- “Exploring Body Oppression and Body Shame with Mindful Self-Compassion” with Sydney Spears, PhD, LCSW
- “From Self-Criticism to Self-Compassion: Insights on Shame and the Inner Critic (includes Demo)” with Paul Gilbert, FBPsS, PhD, OBE
DAY 3: Saturday, June 3, 2023
- “LIVE CLOSING KEYNOTE: Polyvagal Theory and the Treatment of Shame (includes Demo)” with Deb Dana, LCSW
- “Transmuting Shame Through Soulfulness” with Shelly Harrell, PhD
- “Self-Compassion in Psychedelic Assisted Psychotherapy: A Framework Rooted in Deep Ecology” with Jorge Armesto, PhD, C-IAYT & Susie Fairchild, MA
- “Shame, Vulnerability, and Resilience” with Deran Young, LCSW
Speaker List: Compassion-Based Approaches for Working with Shame
Gabor Mate, MD, Kristin Neff, PhD, Christopher Germer, PhD, Deran Young, LCSW, Paul Gilbert, PhD, Martha Sweezy, Phd, Deb Dana, LCSW, Rick Hanson, PhD, Shelly Harrell, PhD, Kamilah Majied, PhD, Shari Geller, PhD, and many more…
About Your Summit Host – The Awake Network
The Awake Network specializes in curated online events that truly impact your life. Every year we put our energy into a few quality online conferences on topics that matter, like mindfulness for well-being, relationships, education, business, and healthcare systems. We provide free talks about living a good life, and connect you with a vast network of resources from us, our partners, and our network of teachers.
🌟 Even if you can’t attend live… 🌟
Register now because you'll be able to access the replays for 48 hours after each session. f you would like to get lifetime access to the Compassion-Based Approaches to Working with Shame Training and earn Continuing Education credits, there is an opportunity to upgrade to the “Event Training Package.”
Affiliate Disclosure: We are grateful to be of service and bring you these life-changing events free of charge. In order to do this, please note that whenever you click the links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases we will receive a referral commission.
Your support in purchasing through these links makes it possible for people in over 150 countries globally to attend these live-changing events for free. Thank you! 🙂